TALKING FLAMING SKULLS
I'm making a few Skulls that I'll use as torches on the colums on my porch. I'm using 12vdc computer fans to blow the
flames. The skulls will be papier mache over a wire frame. This is the first of two Skulls. I shaped the wire into a skull and
applied a coat of papier mache,
This is what the skull looks like after drying over night.
Starting to added some detail.
Here is the wire frame for the second skull.
Here is the wire frame for the second skull.
I'm using some papier mache stuff I found at a local craft shop. I never used it before for so I wasn't sure what to do with
it. I used it to build up areas which it worked great at. It takes a lot longer to dry but It worked.
I went over the bagged papier mache with a layer of news papier mache. This made the teeth stronger and they aren't
going to fall off.
I went over the bagged papier mache with a layer of news papier mache. This made the teeth stronger and they aren't
going to fall off. Second Skull
My parts for the mouth hinge and the fans for the fake flames.
I used a straight piece of wire to make holes on both sides of the skull. I then hot glued the rivet into the holes on both
sides of the skull. I removed the pin. I'll be using a thicker piece of wire through both holes as my hinge. (I like really
cheap ideas. More money for food) The wire spins freely in the rivets.
Here are some pictures of the rivet hot glued in place. In the last picture I added another rivet base that I crimped onto
the wire. I used a needle nose pilers to crimp them together. Both flat ends of the rivets will be flat against each other.
This will keep the jaw moving smooth. I also bent the wire to start getting a jaw shape.
More pictures of the jaw hinge. Remember the first piece of rivet gets glued in place with the flat part on the outside of
the skull. I then made the rest of the jaw of that piece of wire.
More jaw pictures with papier mache added. Once these dry there will be no real weight for the servo so this shouldn't be
hard to move.
First coat of papier mache on lower jaws. I also installed a wire loop in the center of the mouth for the servo to connect too.
I added some teeth to the lower jaw.
I needed to make some over sized eyes. So used some clay to make a simple eye the size I wanted. Then I place it in a take  
container from a pint on wonton soup. I flip it over and cut the bottom off the container and put the clay eye on the lid. I used plaster
to make the mold. Once it dried I used a glue gun to fill the mold with hot glue. Later I will add red leds to each eye.
I added some red leds and glued the eyes in place.
I used pipe cleaners to make chains to hang the skulls with.I had some small skulls I used to connect the chain to the skulls. The
small skulls are made of hot glue with a 1 1/4" bolt in it with a washer & nut.  You can see that the chain looks like its made of pipe
cleaners now but when I'm done adding more latex it will look like a really chain.
I painted the skulls in a butter milk color as a base. These are over size skulls that are just coming to life. The last picture is the fan
that will blow the flames. More to come